Friday, November 13, 2009

Subtle progress...

I don't know why, but for some reason, now more than ever, we seem to be settling into our home and making what I call subtle progress-- progress towards no more boxes, no more little piles of things to be unpacked, things hung on the wall and in their place. Why after almost three months of living here? No clue. Maybe all my home making skills that have been freakishly absent my entire life, finally decided to show up. (Let's get real, Arthur doesn't have those instincts nor would I want him to have them either) Maybe it just took some time to buckle down and make decisions-- yes that painting will go there, no I am not going to keep all of these wedding cards albeit they have very nice sentiments and sparkles on them. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I suppose what we've learned most from married life so far (one of many learned mosts actually) is that when you're married you get to call all the shots together. If together you want a minimalist zen approach to home aesthetics, then by golly, you can have it. (we don't, and we don't want it) If you want to eat off of paper plates you can kill all the trees you want, and throw away your plates. (we don't, I love real plates) If you want to sleep in on Tuesdays, and make breakfast together you can. (We don't-- that's just a pipe dream. I have killer aerobics on Tuesday mornings. Have you seen me try to walk on Wednesdays? I don't walk, I waddle)
So that's the life lesson we've been handling lately as we've tackled things like our office:



Okay, so it may look really messy to you, but the mere fact that you can see the floor, and that there are no boxes is huge. Arthur's even grinning about it. It's not done yet, but we will finish very soon. And there will be much rejoicing.

4 comments:

  1. I does look like your progress is progressing a little better than ours. I will be glad when I no longer have to step over something just to get to the couch, and there's actually room again to play some of the more active Wii games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that. Your space is even smaller than ours-- I was at Ikea this past weekend, and some of their living in small spaces displays (we're talking like 600 - 900 sq. feet) were inspirational. If only I could use space like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun - I just found your blog and love it! I am uuuuber impressed by your pillow skills, by the way. Seriously! I've had fun getting caught up and reading about your fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chels! Isn't it fun to find blog friends of real friends across the blogosphere?

    ReplyDelete